Sunday, January 9, 2011

First Day In Dar Es Salaam

I was the first to arrive out of the 10 us studying here. So I was on my own this morning. Had my first Tanzanian breakfast of potatoes and beans. This afternoon I meet up with our program director Ken; he took the 3 of us that where here to lunch at the hotel we are staying at. I had traditional Tanzanian chicken BBQ. It was pretty good! We then spent the rest of the afternoon playing in the Indian Ocean! Our hotel is right on the ocean. It is fantastic! Here are a few pics of where I will be staying for the next 3 days. The showers are fun-remind me of RV style ones with even less water presser. :)




 
  

Tonight was a lot of fun! So everyone is here by tonight, but on guy how missed his flight in Dubai (bummer huh)! About half of the students here have been to Africa before and are international development/studies/affairs majors; then there is the two engineers and me. We had dinner once again at the hotel but they had a dj and dance floor this time! There where girls there 12 and younger that have better movies then any of us American girls, sorry but it is true! This 12 /13 year old got a kick out of showing me some dance moves!  

We start our official orientation tomorrow at 8am. We are going to learn about banking, shoping, etc.

4 comments:

  1. Awesome beach! Looks like you are fitting in already. Keep dancing!
    Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Kim!! Glad you made it and have already settled in! Wow, you are sure set for the experience of your lifetime! I can't wait to be following all your adventures and seeing your pictures. You look to have a nice hotel...and we are all jealous of the beach!!! Keep up the information for all of us! Take care....Love ya, Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kim
    It's great to see you made your way safely to Africa. You must have experienced some major jet lag travelling that far East. The beach and ocean look wonderful. Besides having the Indian Ocean right there to enjoy you are so close to the Serengeti, Mt Kilimajaro... Take advantage of every opportunity that comes your way to see the country.Take care. Don & Sharleen

    ReplyDelete
  4. nice place! not the hut I was expecting :)

    ReplyDelete