Thursday, January 13, 2011

Mbudya Island and the Move to Campus!

2 days ago we all went to Mbudya Island Marine Park. It was a beautiful island and the water was some of the clearest blue/turquoise I have ever seen! We had our first Swahili lesson there on the beach! Then we had a fresh lunch! Meaning, yes Dad, I ate my first freshly caught and cooked fish! It was pretty good.

Later that evening we all got together and talked about the things in Tanzania that surprised us. Such as; the mall, the lines at the ATM machines, the conservative dress, the poverty gap/ wealth gap, how friendly people are, and more I am sure! We also talked about the things we are nervous about; most of us where afraid we wouldn't get the most out of the experience as we should. I am also nervous I am not going to catch on to the language and that would be disappointing.

Yesterday we moved into our dorms and got settled. I meet my roommate Nasra and she is pretty cool. She has roomed with CIEE students for the last 2 semesters so she knows what is going on. She is in her 3 year (final) studying Social Science -which will prepare her to come to the U.S for a masters in Environmental Science. She then wants to come back to Tanzania and work with the NGOs in the country. She is Muslim and the youngest of 5 in her family. Her older brother went to UNDS and then went to the Netherlands for his masters before coming back and and starting his own successful business. She as already asked me to come with her to his home sometime!

Here are a few pics from the Island!






1 comment:

  1. Hey lil! Sounds like you're meeting some nice folks and seeing some interesting and beautiful places! I love seeing all the pictures and I check your blog for updates everyday! I'm glad the phone was useful and feel free to delete my old contacts if you haven't already. What is your address and phone number there? It was really cold here for a few days but now it's raining and slushy and quite miserable. I'm finishing up grad school applications so writing lots of essays and stuff. Have some African fanta for me! Love you aot!

    ReplyDelete