Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Interniship Set & Dar Sharks Disbanded

Well today I slept in a little - 7:30, then myself and Kelly went to the CIEE office to figure out our internship with YOSEFA - it is an organization that does micro-lending to youth and woman to help start businesses that will sustain their families. You can google it and micro-lending if you want. It is kind of controversial in the methods of developing nations. I like the idea of helping create sustainable business plans and helping people manage their business to last 5-10 years not just a few months. This is what I hope to be able to help with, but who knows! When we meet with the head director as women we where defiantly being looked down upon, but at the same time given a superiority complex because we have an American education - it was weird. It is also going to be a crazy commute by dalla dalla to get there! We will have to leave UDSM at 6:30am to get there hopefully by 8am! We also have to change dalla dalla in what is called theft central station! So we will be taking nothing with us! We also have to leave work by 2-3pm to make sure we are not stuck at either station at dark! But I am excited - it will be an adventure and one hell of an experience; the internship should be too!! Everyone with an internship though  has a pretty rough commute, so I think we will all be just fine!

I do have some disappointing news though! Kelly and I went to go to inquire about the Dar Sharks and when the pool was open this afternoon and... the pool water pump is broken and they are saying that it won't be fixed until February or March -which in Tanzanian time is more like May! :( They said the Dar Sharks have disbanded until the pool can be fixed! I am really disappointed! I was counting on that for my workouts (and refreshing release from the heat) - cuz there is no way to workout outside in this heat - I would have heat stroke! Unless I went at night and after the 10th safety talk I am pretty sure that would be a bad idea. So now I am thinking I might go and see what it would cost to get a monthly pass or something to the pool at a hotel close by. Hopefully I can do that!  

No comments:

Post a Comment