Thursday, January 13, 2011

My Room and First Day on Campus

First off here are some pictures of my room! I live in Hall 3 - an all girls complex. It has 3 buildings (I think :) ) There are 4 rooms on my hall - 3 double and one single. There is two showers - which means that two people at a time can take bucket showers - cuz the water is not that reliable. There are two toilets but half the time they don't really flush - but they are way better than the public bathrooms on campus so I am not complaining! Each hall has reserve tanks that we can get water from and use. So far the electricity has not gone out but I hear it can.

my desk and cupboard
my hall way on the second floor
My room is the second from the bottom 

 looking out our balcony 



Today we had another Kiswhaili lesson. I am learning, but still have a ways to go! I am studying as pictures upload! As we walked around campus today - to class and lunch, etc. I took some pictures. Although I have yet to capture any of the monkeys or the baboon that lives on campus in a picture. I have seen them but them move to fast to get a good picture! Classrooms are classified as lecture rooms and seminar rooms. Lecture rooms are used for the main lectures which can have anywhere from 200 to 800 students in them (it does not mean that they all have chair!). Then there is always a one hour seminar with every lecture where the class is broken into 20/30 students. 

 student shop/bit (snack) shop by my hall
 typical sight to see - drink a lot of pop because even the locals only drink bottled water!
 main cafeteria - where you can get huge helpings of R&B (rice and beans) and Kuku (chiken)
 looking into the main part of the campus lecture rooms from the floor of my Kiswahili class
 The business college
 The other Kim, Jen, and Me waiting for Kiswahili class to start
Inside of a class room - our director and Kiswahili teacher Ken up front

Today was long - I practiced my Swahili a lot! Then Nasra has some friends over - who are pretty cool and always try to help me with my Swahili- to watch soap operas. They are Spanish ones dubbed over in English. They really make me laugh - these TV shows wouldn't last one episode in the states! This weekend is our first overnight excursion to Bagamoyo Town. Then next week starts the real adventure of taking classes like everyone else (thank goodness they are in English) and starting my internship (which I have no idea what I am doing yet) where I will be taking the dula dula to! 

   


 







1 comment:

  1. Awesome pictures. I'm always looking forward to what is posted next. Thanks. Its great to see a smile on your face and say hi to your new friends.
    Love you, Mom

    ReplyDelete