Monday, January 10, 2011

Mall?! Really?!

I never would have guessed I would have went to a mall in Africa, but it is true I did!  We all went and where required to get phones, but thanks to my big sis Cassie I already had one! We also exchanged money and checked our ATM cards to make sure they would work! The strangest thing to see at the mall was the insanely long lings at the ATMs and there where ATMs everywhere! After hanging out in the mall we took the duladula (taxi) to the university and it was so packed people where standing on top of each other and it was just a little van type taxi (oh - they also drive on the other side of the road); it also cost 250shillings for this taxi which is less than a 25cents. We took a tour of campus and found hall 3 where all the girls will be staying and the hall where all of our classes will be. Sorry I don't have any pics! I think from dropping my camera on all those fun nights out in America moisture got in it and the pics are all blurry and the camera is acting up! Good thing my dad thought it was wise to have an extra one! Thanks Dad! So pics of campus are coming soon!

We had some free time this afternoon and I spent it in the Indian ocean helping Tanzanians learn how to swim. It is shocking to learn how many don't know how to swim but play and work on the ocean!  It was a lot a fun! I think they where probably more interested in learning because I was an American girl in a two piece swim suit, but if I helped them learn how to survive just a little that's alright.

Tonight for orientation into the culture we talked a lot about who/what Americans are and how that translates into Tanzanian culture. It was interesting to read this professors (sorry forgot his name) comments on our culture and how we act; he was spot on.  It was interesting to learn how family and friends play such different roles. Here families and friends; understanding one's personal life is more important then the task at hand. It is also more important to not end important conversations just to make and appointment. It is also just as important to show up to an event invited to even if you are hours late and it is considered rude if the host does not accommodate you even though you could be hours late.

2 comments:

  1. Oh I almost forgot to mention that I learned there is a swim team and Ken our directory said he would get myself and another girl on the team! Supper excited about this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Kim, sounds like you're having a great time! good luck on the swim team; it'll be just like the old days :)

    ReplyDelete