Sunday, January 30, 2011

Just Some Random Thoughts

Well I have been thinking and here are some of my thoughts; just go with it!
  • Most (like 100%) of Tanzanians really believe that Americans have all the answers, the right ones to all their problems. Scary! They believe that at the age of 22 we can fix all their nations, organizations, etc, problems! 
  • Not having consistent running water and power outages could get old 
  • I am having a hard time making many Tanzanian friends. I am getting to know all of our roommates and a few of Nasra's friends; but we don't have class with any of them! So it makes studying together or anything like that kind of hard. Not to say that getting to know the CIEE participants is not a cultural experience and fun too, but I would really like to make more Tanzanian friends. I was sort of counting on the swim team to be an in into meeting new people.
  • So it is weird - the tech influence - it makes me feel like I am living a split world. Besides having my computer - others have them too, there for the internet is taking over! The Tanzanian girls in my hall also enjoy Gossip Girl, Vampire Diaries, Twilight, etc. its weird! It scares me that their insight visually into America is Gossip Girl! What does that say about America!  
  • I miss not getting the news. I even would like to get local news but I am having a hard time finding the English Paper!
  • So I am switching up my classes again - I am not taking the Gender class and am taking African History on Friday instead - it should be good - bummed about not having Fridays free though!
  • I am starting to worry about classes and how they are going to get all of whats in the syllabus into the time left. 
  • I am no longer taking my internship for credit; but am stilling doing most of the work for it because then I would have a portfolio to give to potential employers.
  • I was wrong about the birthday thing; they do celebrate but there is a cultural difference when inviting people to anything - the invitee pays for everyone!
  • Did some shopping this weekend = got a conga, getting a skirt made, bought a couple bags, bought a map of Tanzanian, bought a dress, and I kept thinking I was spending so much money, but when I got home and figured it all out - it was really not that much! I am getting use to paying for things cheep! I don't know what I am going to do when I have to pay $10 for a meal! I also was worried that all the free time we had was equating to a lot of extra spending, but I was well within my budget for the month! 
  • Nasra my roommate is awesome! She is supper nice, we have great talks- trading info about Tanzania and America, she is really smart, and she is fun. 
  • I need to learn more Swahili = but is hard = I only use it in broken sentences = or through in a Swahili word in my English sentences. 
  • So I am getting a pass, hopefully to the blue pearl to swim, and I am taking Jen and Kim with me and we are going to do water aerobics! Because the pool is only 10meters - not really conducive to swimming laps!
  • I miss chez things! although we did go to this pretty Americanized place yesterday and I was able to order pizza! It was alright - they even had pepperonis! - it is something I am missing -besides milk!
  • Most Tanzanians have a tribal name and "baptismal name" = which is found from the Bible - is more common. 
  • Nasra and I have set up a dinner date once a week were she will teach me how to cook some of the local dishes! I will bring them all home and cook them for you all! It will probably happen soon when I get back because I will be in cultural shock!      

No comments:

Post a Comment