Monday, January 24, 2011

First Day of Classes & A Day of Fail City & First Night Out!

So Classes at UDSM, pretty awesome! - well hopefully I can say that truthfully by the end of the semester. Right now they are just sawa sawa (ok), it is only the first day though. This is what my schedule looks like -  not exactly what I had in mind but it should fun! We have had some trouble getting teachers - things are sort of hit and miss here - the semester for Tanzanians started 4 weeks late cuz it took that much extra time to grade the final exams and get schedules & professors organized. I cannot imagine what the registration office is like! I don't even want to know - cuz you all know I would want to try and fix it!

Monday: 8am -9am Swahili Class; 9am-11am Gender Social-economics & Development; 11am-1pm African Lit; 2-3pm Development Recitation
Tuesday & Thursday: Internship all day - catch the dalla dalla at 7ish to get there and then probably not home until 7ish that night!
Wednesday: 8am-9am Swahili;  11am-1pm Art (sculpting); 1pm-2pm Lit Recitation; Art Studio 3-4pm
Friday: 8am-9am Swahili Class

So right now I really don't know what to do with my free time! I know I came here to to learn that time doesn't own me I own time, but right now all I want is for classes to really get started and I can start contributing to society because I feel like I am wasting away right now! I am still trying to figure out the swim team thing, I thought I might volunteer at the UDSM Entrepreneurship Office, maybe give some free swim lessons, but I really don't want to committee to much either before classes are in full swing! For real - I went to class today and then did nothing! The girls & I tried to go to a pool (the pool on campus is only open for certain hours and my swimsuit is not appropriate -waiting for my other ones to show up-thanks mom!) close by where we could get internet and such but it was being cleaned - so after a shil 4000 badagi ride - Fail City. Then we took a taxi back to the mall for shil 5000 -Fail City cuz we got ripped off on our badagi ride and the fact that we went to the mall again! We are pathetic! So then we decided - cuz there was nothing better to do today at 4 in the afternoon we went to Tron - Fail City we are in Tanzania and we went to a movie again!! I don't like this! But it is really hard to be hanging out all the time with our roommates right now because it is like midterms for them this week and they take their studies extremely seriously!

Although, my roommate was all for hitting the dance club this last weekend! We did have a great time! They had one of those lighted floors like in the movie Disco Fever! It was sweet - and you all know that I was the first one on the dance floor!! :) Also the whiskey taste the same here! I wish I could have brought my camera - maybe when I know some more Swahili and can hold my own with it I will bring it out to give you all a visual of what its like at night here! Nothing like I would have ever expected! Because we are wazungu (white people) we where recommenced to arrange our transportation ahead of time so the 10 of us rented, you could say, a dalla dalla for the night for shil 50,000 that is about $4 a piece! It was well worth it, cuz we didn't have to worry about anything! (well not anything but less worry). The club was called Misha, and it was alright. I don't think we are going back cuz there were a few to many old creepy men there. Also the dress at night is crazy! For Idaho - those girls would have been called sluts, for Vegas standards they may have fit in, just a few years behind in US style standards. Nothing compared to the conservative serious style front going on during the day! I am going to go back to a previous statement that all 20some year olds are the same around the world - sex its on all of our minds!! Yeah I am laughing - you all are too! 

No comments:

Post a Comment